Formerly known as Basalt, Stonecrop Magazine is a non-profit open access publication designed and edited by students of College of Western Idaho. Stonecrop is funded by CWI's Language and Arts Department.
We publish original works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and art, with new issues printed each Spring. Our review period begins in September and extends through March. Expect a response within or shortly after this period.
Stonecrop is proud to collaborate with Storyfort, an integral branch of Treefort Music Fest held in downtown Boise, Idaho. As part of its annual tradition, Storyfort invites literary minds near and far to write, read, and enrich.
The top three winners of the Storyfort Micro Fiction Contest receive prizes and get their stories published in the spring issue of Stonecrop Magazine.
**Storyfort Micro Fiction Contest 2019 is live! Deadline is March 1st. See below for the contest specs and submission.
Look for Storyfort on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @storyfortfest
Available now: Stonecrop Magazine is pleased to announce its 2018 spring issue is available! Select 'Purchase Copies' below for information.
Visit our website for more features: www.stonecropmag.com
Our editorial staff wishes to thank everyone who contributed to the making of Stonecrop 01. This issue would not be possible without the wonderful stories, poems, and artworks submitted during the last review period. Thank you!
Stonecrop Team 2018
Stonecrop Magazine's spring publication is now available for purchase!
Stonecrop 01, 2018
Basalt Magazine back issues available:
Issue 05, 2017
Issue 04, 2016 *Out of stock
Issue 03, 2015
Issue 02, 2014
Issue 01, 2013 *Out of stock
$10.00/issue + $1.59 processing/hosting fees
Select issues below
To purchase multiple copies, please contact us:
Open to all.
Opens 7:00pm October 27th, 2018
Closes 11:59pm March 1st, 2019
Stonecrop is proud to collaborate with Storyfort, an integral branch of Treefort Music Fest held in downtown Boise, Idaho. As part of its annual tradition, Storyfort invites literary minds near and far to write, read, and enrich. The top three winners of the Storyfort Micro Fiction Contest receive prizes and get their stories published in the spring issue of Stonecrop Magazine.
Look for Storyfort on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, & online:
Write a story. Win a Treefort pass.
1. Stories must begin with one of the following first lines (omit artist and song title from submission):
- "If it sounds right, I'll repeat it." ("I See My Mother" by Poliça)
- "I'm a better woman than I have been." ("Better Things" by Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings)
- "It might be impractical to seek out a new romance." ("Will Do" by TV on the Radio)
- "Where do bad folks go when they die?" ("Lake of Fire" by Meat Puppets)
- "Lucy was 7 and wore a head of blue barrettes." ("No Regrets" by Aesop Rock)
2. Each entry must be between 300 and 500 words in length. Strictly enforced.
3. $5 reading fee for each entry; 3 entries max.
4. Each piece submitted must be a completely resolved and compelling story (in 300-500 words).
5. All submissions are anonymous. Name and contact details must not appear on the stories.
6. All judging is anonymous. The judges' verdict is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
1st place: 5-day Treefort pass
2nd place: Weekend 2-day Treefort pass
3rd place: Storyfort shirt and SWAG
*All winning submissions will be published in Stonecrop Magazine's Issue 02, Spring 2019. All winners are invited to read winning submissions on the final day of Storyfort 2019.
*No submissions accepted from staff or organizers of Treefort Music Fest, Storyfort, Duck Club, or Stonecrop Magazine.
Previously unpublished original fiction, any genre. Must stand alone (no chapters).No page or word count limit. However, works of length must be of exceptional quality.
Remove all submitter identification from the manuscript--no names, emails, etc.
Previously unpublished original nonfiction, general interest or personal narratives.
Complete, stand alone (no chapters).
No page or word count limit. However, works of length must be of exceptional quality.Remove all submitter identification from the manuscript--no names, emails, etc.
Previously unpublished original poetry in any style or format.
Single poems, or groups in a single upload, are accepted. Limit to 5 poems per document file.
If submitting multiple document files, please upload these individually. For the sake of our review team and to ensure each poem receives proper attention, we do not offer multiple uploads in a single submission. To upload multiple documents, you must return to the Poetry submission form and begin a new upload process. Once you have completed a submission (one document file containing 5 poems max.), you will be redirected to our Submittable home page where you can access the Poetry form to begin your next upload.
**Remove ALL submitter identification from the manuscript--no names, emails, etc.
Our art content is not theme-based. We encourage artists to submit works demonstrating personal skill and aesthetic.
Original art of any style and medium. Previously unpublished work only.
Individual works, groups, and series are accepted. If submitting groups or series, clearly label each submission (ex. Snowfall 1 of 4, Snowfall 2 of 4). Please rename your files with the title of the work and your name (ex. snowfall_jane-doe).
All art submitted for general publication will be considered for the cover.
- All forms of media accepted
- B&W and Color
- Dimensions of final printed publication: 6 ½ " W x 7 ½ " H
- Minimum page dimensions for printed publication: 5" W x 6" H
- High resolution files only: approximately 300 ppi/dpi. Strictly enforced. Though image post-editing may be possible by the artist or Stonecrop staff, image files that fall below 270ppi/dpi may be subject to elimination.
- Suggested file types:
- TIF, PSD, JPG, PNG
*Remove all submitter identification from the file and the image--no visible watermarks, names, emails, etc.